It is critical to know the difference between squats and deadlifts in order to develop proper foundational and functional strength. Both should be the basis of most of your exercises in your workout routine. Master them and practice regularly to build stable and powerful life long core strength.
Awesome shooting with Stevie Chris in Philly. We captured some really cool kettlebell shots and sequences using burst mode and our imagination :) Here's a swing sequence that illustrates proper form that you should all master if you're practicing kettlebells. Start with your feet hip width apart and toes forward. Lead the movement with your hips and hinge them back swinging the bell through your legs. Keep your back straight and strong and keep your chest up. Use the force from your core and lift the bell. Squeeze from the your butt and legs to get to center and suck your belly button in using your abs to lift the bell to head height. Perfecting the swing does wonders for the mind and body! Get swingin!!
I absolutely swear by kettlebells and their effectiveness at transforming your body. There is no other tool that strengthens your core in a more functional and powerful way. My favorite perk to kb training is how it teaches you to engage your mind and connect with every movement while exercising. Here's a list of 10 specific reasons kettlebells are #1 for training.
- Kick up your Cardio: Working out with a kettlebell is serious cardio training without the boredom of a treadmill or elliptical. A recent study shows that kb training burns 20 cals/min, that’s 1,200/hour and because of the intense muscle activation, the afterburn lasts for hours (and days ;). Besides losing calories, and unlike the most mainstream ideas of cardio, kettlebells train your heart rate. You’ll feel that performing basic moves like swings gets your heart pumping and gets you breathing heavy. This is the real deal cardio training!
- Increased Functional Strength: Functional training is characterized as performing exercises that strengthen your everyday movement patterns. Kettlebells do this better than any other workout, because all traditional kb moves are performed as continuous, dynamic movements, not static repetitions like other weight lifting. A perfect example of this is the Get-Up. You begin this exercise lying on your back, then you progress to sitting up, kneeling and standing, and then back through those movements. What greater strength do you need for everyday life?
- Total Body Workout: Kettlebells dynamic exercises allow you to work multiple muscles groups at once instead of traditional isolated body building. This means that every muscle in your body will get sufficient work, in just one workout. This is the best way to build lean muscle mass and lose inches overall.
- Increased Core Strength: The design of a kettlebell and its training methods are intended to target the trunk/core of your body, where all movement comes from. Therefore, to perform kb movements, you must activate and contract your core muscles throughout an entire exercise. This includes your abs, hips, back, butt and legs. No other workout does it like kettlebells.
- Increased Power and Endurance: Kettlebell exercises, such as the snatch, are executed by using the force of your own body, and also your ability to counteract the momentum of that force. This functional concept trains your power and endurance.
- Pain Prevention: Because kettlebell training uses highly functional movements, it actually realigns the body’s muscles and conditions them in the proper ways, preventing weakness and further injuries, especially in your back. The movement patterns used in kb training also train your body's functional strength to help prevent injury and sustain proper posture.
- Time and Cost Efficient: This fat blasting, muscle sculpting piece of equipment is a one time fee of $20-100 (depending on size) and guaranteed to last a lifetime. Unlike paying for a monthly gym membership, adding up to hundreds per year. Invest properly in your body.
- Exercise Anywhere: All you need is a small space to perform an entire kettlebell workout. No need to go to a gym! You can do it in the comfort of your own home, outdoors or where ever. And you can bring it with you anywhere!
- They’re FUN!: I know most of you are rolling your eyes, but the unique aspects of kb training let you use creativity in your workout. You're training your whole body every time so feel free to switch it up!
- It’s all you need!: Because kettlebell training is so effective at strengthening your entire mind and body it is really all you need to train for a fit, functional, healthy life.
A simple avocado salad is not only fast and easy to prepare, it is incredibly healthy as well.
- S + P
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Lime
Dice tomato, avocado and purple onion into preferred size. Drizzle with a good e.v.o.o., vinegar and s+p. Squeeze half a lime for freshness. Mix up, serve and enjoy!
This easy to make, delicious dish can be served as an appetizer or even entree. Great for entertaining because each person can have their own stack!
- Tomatoes (large, Jersey or Beefsteak)
- Burrata cheese (or mozzerella)
- Oil + Vinegar
- Cut eggplant in 1/2 – 1 inch slices, salt + pepper and grill 2-3 mins each side.
- Slice tomatoes to desired thickness.
- Layer tomato, cheese, eggplant and repeat. Finish the top off with an end tomato piece for presentation
- Sprinkle with oil and vinegar, salt + pepper and fresh basil if desired.
My #1 rule of thumb when purchasing any packaged food product is to read the ingredients! I can not stress this enough…
This rule is a defining principle of Clean Eating. Eating clean is about avoiding processed foods filled with chemicals and additives. If you think about it, our digestive systems actually don’t know how to process these chemicals. This is a direct cause of weight gain! If you’re body can not process something, it stores it. Period.